      From: Angela Druckman <angela.druckman@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, 2 October, 2008 21:30:57
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Intro to Agile / XP / Scrum game that takes 15-20 minutes?

      One more game I really like--

      This is a great one for people who resist estimating in story points because hours are "more reliable":

      I display a list of 10 things I ask people to estimate and indicate their +/- range.  These things are bascially obscure trivia obtained via the Internet, such as the average number of worldwide deaths from snakebite per year or the number of known species of shark.  I tell them the object is to get as many of the estimates correct as possible.  They estimate and we look at their estimates and the correct answers together.

      Invariably, they are way off on a few (often most) and their +/- ranges are way too small.

      So my question for them is why did they not make their variance ranges bigger?  And we talk about the "implied precision" that an estimate in hours gives and how, even without being told to do so, they felt pressure to choose small variance ranges.

      Then we estimate another group of items but this time we use t-shirt sizes (xs, s, m, l, xl).  It might be country populations, prices of luxury items, etc.  Invariablly, the group interacts more when estimating in this fashion and they estimate quicker.  We talk about the benefits of this kind of estimation.

      I think this is a useful learning tool and a fun exercise.

      BTW - snakebite deaths annually: 125,000
               species of sharks: 370

           --Angela  :)