      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: garvinpromo@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:30:02 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Application Framework and database design

      I'm new to Scrum so please be patient.

      Being an old waterfall guy, I'm accustomed to planning the application
      framework (common objects, inheritance structure, error processing,
      ect.) and designing the database up front.

      To add to the complexity, we are outsourcing the development. I am
      the Product Owner. The Scrum Master and the Team are outsourced and
      do not have strong industry knowledge or a good understanding of our
      day to day operations.

      Our application incorporates 24 functional areas. It is my
      understanding that each Sprint within the Scrum addresses a functional
      area or a subset of the stories within a functional area.

      It sounds to me like we are going to end up with a bunch of objects
      pieced together and a database that is not all that relational. Or as
      each new Sprint is implemented, we will need to rework other functions
      and redesign the database.

      I've got the User Stories for the first Sprint complete and the Team
      wants to get started. Are we missing a step?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Bill

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic