3300RE: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM tools (was process with other method ologies)

  • Mike Beedle
    Apr 9, 2004
      Eric:

      You are right. Maybe we agree more than disagree.

      The only point I want to make is that in Scrum
      development we use "time remaining" to
      show the status of the project i.e. it doesn't
      matter how much the team worked on something --
      what matters is how much work is left to do for the
      team.

      However, if you also have a "budgeting, reporting
      or costing control" need, knowing how much time
      things really took might also be important to you,
      the ScrmMaster and/or the Product Owner.

      This is where the "updated real time required" to
      accomplish something comes into play. The Scrum team
      typically cares less about this but it all depends
      on the situation. If you are working on a
      fix-bid contract, it matters. If you have a
      budget constraint, it matters. If you are working
      with internal/external resources that have cost
      associated with them, it matters, etc.

      - Mike

      Powder skiing is one of the best things in life...

      --- Eric Chamberlain <Eric.Chamberlain@...>
      wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Mike:

      Hmmm. Seems like we agree and yet disagree. I am a
      bit confused. You
      agree with me that the "original estimate" doesn't
      mean much but then you
      think it is fine that it needs to be changed if a task
      extends beyond its
      estimate. Why require change to something that
      doesn't mean much? You
      agree with me that the "hours remaining" provides the
      best picture of the
      situation--so is your happiness with Xplanner in
      *spite* of its requirement
      that you update relatively meaningless stats (the task
      estimates)? I think
      I must be missing something here or else I just have a
      lower irritation
      threshold w.r.t. the tools. In that case, we all agree
      on what is important,
      what Xplanner requires, and what busy work we're
      comfortable with in
      exchange for the benefits of the tool (and Xplanner
      *does* have benefits, to
      be sure).

      So if this is just a subjective thing, its probably
      best if this thread just
      dies here, eh?

      == Eric ==