      I'm planning to run an experimental CSM course this year with 24 students of 24 different professions (all non-IT). I keep hearing the phrase "I'd love to learn more about that" when I tell non-IT people about Scrum, so I want to hear their take on the whole 2-day course. I'll let you people know more about it when I'm done with the exercise.

      Cheers,
      Alan

      On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Nancy Dirgo <ndirgo@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I work at an advertising agency.  I run the technology group and have a deep software background.  Interestingly enough, I have adopted SCRUM into any of our digital interactive work - banners, websites, etc.  It has been working quite well.  The only issue I have encountered is when people outside of development finally realize that the SCRUM holds them accountable for things and a timeline.  It is definitely interesting in working with creatives.  I am taking a slow approach on that adoption, but so far so good.

      Nancy

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:05:58 AM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum outside of software development

      Hello, Xavier. On Wednesday, September 3, 2008, at 9:56:37 AM, you
      wrote:

      > I have a follow-up question: what's the Scrum Alliance's stance (and of this
      > list) on using Scrum for non-IT work? Is is something we want to
      > specifically encourage? Or are we more neutral about it?

      Historically, I'm a software product guy. I'd use it for that.

      > What is the scope of Scrum? Is it meant to be a software development
      > framework only, or should it grow to encompass as much of the world of work
      > as it can?

      Works pretty well for other kinds of work. But I'm not sure about
      "should". It's a style of working, not a moral imperative, in my
      opinion.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming. com
      A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
      as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic