32218Re: Scrum outside of software development

  • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
    Sep 3, 2008
      I did a Scrum "pilot" at a digital media/advertising agency. I would call this sort of on the periphery of the technology space. The biggest difference was the amount of emphasis on graphic design and copy writing. I would say it worked about like I've seen it work in software shops. Some people "got it" right away and some people didn't. There was a lot of "churn" around the development of art assests (e.g. color palette, layout, logo lockups, text treatment etc.) and copy (e.g. exact wording of large blocks of text). This was very similar to "requirements churn" in a regular software environment. The biggest difference between this agency and software product shops I've coached is that their baseline was no process at all as opposed to some kind of waterfall. And because of dealing with lots of temperamental artists etc. they really resisted what they felt was cumbersome "process crazy" management. In the end it worked though and it convinced me of what I already believed to be true. Namely that you can use Scrum to create any "product" where the requirements and technology aren't completely known. Since Scrum is a management framework that doesn't really dictate engineering practices (which is why it fits so well with XP) you can use it for almost any creative work located in the "complex" space:

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Richard Scott-Will-Harknett <richard@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      > While most implementations of scrum are in the technology space, I am
      > interested to hear of examples of the implementation of scrum (and any other
      > agile frameworks/techniques) in domains other than software development.
      > Does anyone have experiences of this they can share?
      > Thanks,
      > Richard

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Richard Scott-Will-Harknett <richard@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      > While most implementations of scrum are in the technology space, I am
      > interested to hear of examples of the implementation of scrum (and any other
      > agile frameworks/techniques) in domains other than software development.
      > Does anyone have experiences of this they can share?
      > Thanks,
      > Richard

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic