31726Re: Performance measurement of team members?

  • myoungtai
    Aug 13, 2008
      James,

      I agree with your assertion that the underperformers are dealt with
      organically, however, management will at some point invariably get
      involved. In situations I have seen, the question posed by either
      project managers or development managers is "Why does Team X cost so
      much more per story point than Team Y?" If the answer is that Team X
      has a disproportionately paid underperforming member, then the
      follow-on question, albeit somewhat sarcastic, is "Why don't we just
      have Team Y do all of the development work?"

      I'm sure to be pelted with tomatoes for suggesting this here, but one
      way to deal with this is to adopt the traditional methods of using
      periodic performance reviews to adjust salary and expectations. This
      can take years in some cases to make the situation equitable, or could
      result in reassigning the person to another function. The key to
      success here I think is communication. If someone does not feel the
      need for change, they most likely will not change.

      mike y

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP"
      <jsfosdickcsp@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hudson" <phudson@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > What about trying to improve the performance of the underperformer?
      > >

      > Earlier I said, "the team is the best one to decide who is and is not
      > performing and let peer pressure do the rest." By that I meant exactly
      > what you suggest. In practice I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes
      > underperformers are pressured by their team to "step it up" and they
      > do, often with the help of their team through pairing with a higher
      > performer or whatever. Sometimes, however, the underperformer is an
      > underperformer because they either don't care or simply aren't capable
      > of keeping up with the rest of the team. In that situtation the team
      > either relegates them to "grunt work" or "votes them off the island".
      > In my opinion this is a significant value of Scrum. Low performing
      > team members are dealt with entirely organically without the need for
      > management intervention and the team is invariably stronger as a
      > result thus eliminating the need for any of the heavyweight low-value
      > high overhead processes and procedures command & control organizations
      > typically use to identify and eliminate low performers.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic