31722Re: Performance measurement of team members?

  • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
    Aug 13, 2008
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hudson" <phudson@...>
      > What about trying to improve the performance of the underperformer?

      Earlier I said, "the team is the best one to decide who is and is not
      performing and let peer pressure do the rest." By that I meant exactly
      what you suggest. In practice I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes
      underperformers are pressured by their team to "step it up" and they
      do, often with the help of their team through pairing with a higher
      performer or whatever. Sometimes, however, the underperformer is an
      underperformer because they either don't care or simply aren't capable
      of keeping up with the rest of the team. In that situtation the team
      either relegates them to "grunt work" or "votes them off the island".
      In my opinion this is a significant value of Scrum. Low performing
      team members are dealt with entirely organically without the need for
      management intervention and the team is invariably stronger as a
      result thus eliminating the need for any of the heavyweight low-value
      high overhead processes and procedures command & control organizations
      typically use to identify and eliminate low performers.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic