29695Re: [scrumdevelopment] Tips for hiring a Product Owner

  • Rob Park
    Jun 3, 2008
      Yep I was in that discussion at "camp" :)

      I have had success with this more than once.  In 2 cases, there is someone that I normally refer to as the product owner, but he is not always present and doesn't do all the deciding... he is always the "persona" that we use to qualify team choices however.

      What I'm against is the team trying to pass the buck in saying it's his fault or it's not our fault, we just don't have a product owner.  The healthier the team the more they are all thinking like the customer regularly anyway.

      .rob.

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Markus Silpala <msilpala@...> wrote:

      On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:25 PM, Rob Park wrote:

      Why do you feel that you have to have a person/team for product owner?  Could you challenge that thinking and get the "whole team" to discover the stories and priorities from the right people, but as a team?

      I've tried to do that in the past, but did not find much success. It led to some goldplating and discussions that went too easily into the weeds as the team argued over their differing guesses at business needs. Have you succeeded with that approach in the past or present? I'd be interested to hear of some positive cases.

      Tangential side-question: were you in the Sunday morning discussion of this at Agile Coach Camp?

      -Markus

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic