2948RE: What to do with "loose ends"

  • Greg
    Mar 10 1:00 PM
      I want to thank everyone for your great responses to
      this topic. I've been working with Dennis on
      introducing Scrum into our organization and we have
      been very pleased with the results thus far.

      Before Dennis posted the question on "loose ends" we
      thought that it might come down to a simple question
      of priority and I guess that it stills does to an
      extent. But, one thing that I'm concerned about is
      that many of these issues are "rough edges" in (or on)
      the product. Individually, they can be easily
      overlooked and are of no consequence. However,
      collectively, these rough edges add up to a product
      that may be perceived as being unfinished or
      unrefined.

      So, if the "loose ends" are considered as individual
      items and prioritized as such they may never be
      addressed. Thus it would seem that this is when the
      collective nature of these "loose ends" is a problem.
      The end result being the product that is unrefined,
      unpolished and ready for prime time.

      Any thoughts?

      I think Charlie Trainor has a good point about quality
      and how those rough edges should be caught prior to
      the review. We obviously have some "opportunities"
      for improvement there.:) But, in the rush to meet the
      goals of the current sprint, how do you balance the
      quality issues (that create many of the loose ends)?

      I also liked Michael Hirsch's approach to bundling
      related ones into a single requirement. That may take
      care of a portion of your loose ends. But, what of
      the ones that don't bundle well? In a complex product
      that list may be significant.

      Has anyone just saved these up for a final (move to
      production) sprint and tried to resolve as many of
      these as can be done during that sprint? Or is that
      asking for trouble?

      Thanks again for all of your advice.

      Greg

      http://search.yahoo.com