28468Re: What's the meaning of "Adjusted Planning Velocity"?

  • woynam
    Apr 7, 2008
      I agree. Agile is based on honesty. I don't see anything wrong with
      saying "Look, we're about to kick off our first sprint, with a new
      team, and a new process. Frankly, we simply do not *know* how much
      we'll get done. Historically, a team knows the least at the beginning
      of a project, regardless of the process used. We'll do our best to
      estimate the features, but it's likely we'll be off. We'll have a much
      better idea how much we can commit to at the end of the upcoming
      iteration."

      Trying to come up with a "scientific" basis for velocity at this point
      in time is asking for trouble.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP"
      <jsfosdickcsp@...> wrote:

      > I don't deny that that's what it's for. My argument is that it is a
      > flawed strategy. In my opinion velocity based planning in sprint 1 is
      > very dangerous. It takes several sprints to calibrate your velocity
      > metrics so trying to base a committment on them (before you have them)
      > doesn't make sense and is certainly not improved by adding a bunch of
      > cruft. Rather the team should decompose backlog items until their
      > available time is filled up and than back off one or two items.
      > Pretending that we have a "scientific" way of estimating initial
      > velocity by adding a bunch of multiplication factors feels very
      > "waterfallish" to me. In any case it is definitely 100% voodoo which
      > is something agile tries to get away from.
      >
      > Jimi
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levison" <mlevison@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm sorry James - I think your wrong. I don't have time to go
      > through the
      > > slide decks from the course but I really do think that this was
      > involved in
      > > answering the problem of estimating initial capacity so the team has
      > some
      > > clue as to how many stories they can safely commit to.
      > >
      > > Of course no someone will cite line and verse proving me a fool.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > > Blog: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/
      > > One Year of Scrum: Lessons Learned
      > > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/10/one-year-of-scr.html
      > > Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
      > > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
      > > Customer Retention Department - Vonage Customer Service Sucks
      > > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/06/customer_retent.html

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic