28437Re: Developing a sense of commitment among the Team to completing the Sprint Backlog

  • dvroberts411
    Apr 3, 2008
      Thanks, Hank (and Rodney) for your suggestions to make the failure
      to complete all the user stories in the Sprint Backlog more
      visible. Actually, the PO is quite aware and concerned, and vocal,
      about the Sprint Backlog not being completed in each of the 2
      completed (to date) sprints. What I have to figure out is how to
      develop a sense of ownership among the Team members and that
      commitment to the Sprint backlog is more than the attitude 'We'll
      get done as much as we can'. We are only in our third sprint with
      this new (to Scrum) team, and I know that this understanding of
      commitment will come. I just want to see how I can better
      communicate and develop that feeling of ownership among the Team so
      that the Team really takes it to heart what it means to commit.
      It's got to be a balance of effective user story/task estimation
      during the Planning meeting plus a pride in getting what was
      promised 'done' by sprint's end.

      Thanks again for all the helpful thoughts and advice. This is such
      a great forum! I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of you at the
      Scrum Gathering in Chicago.

      Doug

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Roark"
      <Hank.Roark@...> wrote:

      > Doug,
      >
      > It might be worth tracking the number of story committed vs. number
      > completed sprint by sprint. Put it on a big visible chart and see
      if anyone
      > notices / cares.
      >
      > -- Hank
      >
      > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, dvroberts411 <Douglas.Roberts@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Howdy All,
      > >
      > > I'm in the midst of Sprint #3 with a Team that is new to
      Agile/Scrum
      > > but consists of seasoned development engineers. One trend that I
      > > have noticed over the course of these first 3 sprints is the
      Team's
      > > casual attitude about completing the Sprint Backlog. I've heard
      > > several comments such as 'Well, it doesn't look like we're going
      > > have enough time to complete that last story' on the sprint
      > > backlog. I am just not seeing the Team truly understand the
      meaning
      > > of 'committing' to the Sprint Backlog, even though I try to get
      them
      > > to elicit a statement of commitment at the conclusion of each
      Sprint
      > > Planning meeting.
      > >
      > > Can any of you share your ideas on how I can better instill an
      > > understanding among my Team of what it means to 'commit' to the
      > > Sprint Backlog? I certainly understand that the Team may have
      over-
      > > committed during the Sprint Planning meetings and genuinely
      cannot
      > > complete a Sprint Backlog. But that is not the case: I am seeing
      > > some members doing design work, or building libraries, that
      actually
      > > have nothing to do with the Sprint Backlog, just because they
      think
      > > these activities are truly important and should be done. But this
      > > results in all the user stories not being completed by the end of
      > > our sprints. And the reaction I'm seeing from Team members is
      > > like 'Oh well, that's the way it goes. We ran out of time'.
      > >
      > > Your ideas on how I can better enlist the Team's commitment to
      focus
      > > on, and complete, the sprint backlog would be much appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Doug

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic