28431Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Developing a sense of commitment among the Team to completing the Sprint Backlog

  • Rodney Wynn
    Apr 3 10:01 AM
      If this is truly important to you then do not wait till the retrospective after the daily stand up bring it forward for discussion.

      Waiting in silence for the retrospective sends a message of acceptance of the team actions

      dvroberts411 <Douglas.Roberts@...> wrote:
      Hi George,

      I am the SM for the Team: sorry, I should have mentioned that in the
      original post.

      I have not brought it up as a topic during the Sprint Retrospective,
      but I have it on my agenda of topics to talk about for the upcoming
      meeting this Monday. I will take your suggestion and pose it more
      as a question to the Team at the meeting: 'What does it mean to you
      to 'commit' to the Sprint Backlog?'.

      Thanks,

      Doug

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...> wrote:

      > Doug,
      >
      > Are you a member of the team? Have you brought it up in the
      retrospectives?

      > I think that saying something like this:
      >
      > "I feel embarrassed that we don't complete the work we commit to
      do.
      > We manage to do some other things that aren't part of the
      commitment,
      > and this implies to me that our word to the Product Owner doesn't
      mean
      > very much. When I give my word, I like it to really mean
      something."

      > might be a good conversation starter.
      >
      > If you're not part of the team, maybe the Product Owner should
      ask, at
      > the end of the planning meeting, what the word "commit" means to
      the team.

      > - George
      >
      > dvroberts411 wrote:
      > > Howdy All,
      > >
      > > I'm in the midst of Sprint #3 with a Team that is new to
      Agile/Scrum
      > > but consists of seasoned development engineers. One trend that
      > > have noticed over the course of these first 3 sprints is the
      Team's
      > > casual attitude about completing the Sprint Backlog. I've heard
      > > several comments such as 'Well, it doesn't look like we're going
      > > have enough time to complete that last story' on the sprint
      > > backlog. I am just not seeing the Team truly understand the
      meaning
      > > of 'committing' to the Sprint Backlog, even though I try to get
      them
      > > to elicit a statement of commitment at the conclusion of each
      Sprint

      http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
      http://www.idiacomp uting.com
      http://www.agilemar yland.org