28425Re: What's the meaning of "Adjusted Planning Velocity"?

  • Peter Hundermark
    Apr 2, 2008
      Hi,

      The whole thing sounds like a throwback to defined methods. In fact, it
      bears a strong resemblance to COCOMO II. Of course it is appealing to
      think we could calibrate our velocity model with this neat set of
      factors and values. But we're dealing with complexity here. Which is why
      we use an empirical framework.

      Yes, we expect the team to produce less DONE software when:
      * They are not collocated
      * They are a new team
      * The domain is novel
      * The tools/technology are unfamiliar
      * They are unused to collaboration / self-organisation (Scrum) - I added
      this one to your list!

      But, as George says, using "yesterday's weather", or as I recommend, a
      rolling average of the last 3 sprints, the team will quickly establish a
      reasonable velocity estimate.

      And I always try to emphasize that velocity only exists to create (and
      update) a credible release plan / product burndown. The only important
      measure of progress for the team is shippable business functionality.

      Regards,

      Peter
      CSC

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "lidingshan" <lidingshan@...>
      wrote:

      > I read a document mentioned that, when a Scrum team try to do the
      > estimation, they need to use the "Adjusted Planning Velocity" - The
      > planning velocity multiply several drag factors. The formula is:
      >
      > Adjusted Planning Velocity (units are Points/Sprint)
      > = Planning Velocity x DP x DF x DT x DD
      >
      > The values of DP, DF, DT and DD are
      >
      > Proximity(DP)
      >
      > * Multiple Time Zones: 0.8
      > * Same Office Building: 1.0
      > * Radical Colocation: 1.6
      > Time Together(DF)
      >
      > * <3 months: 0.6
      > * 3 to 12 months: 0.8
      > * >12 months: 1.0
      > Knowledge of Technology (DT)
      >
      > * Low: 0.6
      > * Medium: 0.8
      > * High: 1.0
      > Knowledge of Domain (DD)
      >
      > * Low: 0.6
      > * Medium: 0.8
      > * High: 1.0
      > The question is, why the drag factor value is smaller as the condition
      > is worth. For example, when the "Knowledge of Technology" is low, the
      > factor value is 0.6. That means the value of Adjusted Planning
      Velocity
      > is smaller than the original Planning Velocity. It doesn't make sense
      > me because based on my understanding, if the condition is worth, the
      > adjusted velocity should be larger because the team needs more effort
      > complete it. I am not quite understand what this adjusted velocity
      mean
      > and how to use it. Please provide your suggestions and thanks a lot.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic