28412Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: What's the meaning of "Adjusted Planning Velocity"?

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Apr 2, 2008
      I'm not sure where/why you heard about some velocity drag factor equation in a CSM course.  I never was taught that.

      The whole idea seems like funny math to me.  For example - how do you quantify the lack of domain knowledge to be .3 or .6?  Or time together - what's that mean?  Is that drinking beers at the pub, working together, etc.

      I think this equation help draw awareness to the idea that things like:  the team's domain knowledge, their evolution as a team (forming, storming, norming, performing), and colocation, etc.  all play into the velocity.  I do not know about the whole idea of "adjusted velocity," though.  If the team can take on only 40 pts, rather than 100 pts, their velocity is 40.

      I think the idea of saying "Well if you guys were worth your salt you should be able to plan 100 pts, but because you don't have enough togetherness and your all dumb, I only expect you to do 40."  I think that'd would only be a morale killer for a team.  Why not instead simply focus on what the team can do -- which is what you defined velocity as.  All the "drag factors" are already built-in, you don't need to compensate further.  Don't confuse velocity with productivity (which is what it's feeling like you are doing here with the "planning velocity").

      The velocity is the velocity... if the Product Owner wants the team to do more then they need to understand what's holding up the team.

      Nicholas

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Pascal Thivent <pascal@...> wrote:
      Actually, i'm not sure how this tool should be used: for the velocity
      of the first sprint, if conditions change, if a new team is
      introduced...

      I remember some slides in the CSM course talking about "Adjusted
      Estimate" which is calculated by applying a drag factor to the
      original estimate with a similar approach to the one you're
      mentioning.

      Adjusted estimate = estimate * (1 + drag factor) where the drag factor
      varies from 0.8 to 0 and depends on Time Together, Knowledge of
      Technology and Knowledge of Domain
      Adjusted estimate = estimate * 0.6 if teams are collocated
      Adjusted estimate = estimate * 1.4 if more than one team

      I may be missing something but I don't really see the point of
      applying a drag factor (on estimates or on the velocity) when using
      story points. This drag factor is already included in the velocity and
      the velocity will increase as the condition get better. This would
      make more sense with "Team Days" (or Ideal Team Days) and a fixed
      "velocity" equal to the number of days in a sprint.

      --
      Pascal Thivent

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Nicholas Cancelliere - Austin, TX
      CSM/CSP and Rails Developer

      "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." --Albert Einstein
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic