28408Re: [scrumdevelopment] Developing a sense of commitment among the Team to completing the Sprint Backlog

  • Plamen Balkanski
    Apr 2, 2008

      Hi,

      It looks like you're having similar problems to the one we had. What we've done was to organize a set of meetings on which we basically did the exercises described in this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Dysfunctions-Team-Leadership-Fable/dp/0787960756/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207148167&sr=8-1

      While there is still place for improvement ,overall I am happy with the results and the change of attitude. From previous experience I would also recommend some team building games/exercises.

      Cheers

      Plamen

      On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM, dvroberts411 <Douglas.Roberts@...> wrote:

      Howdy All,

      I'm in the midst of Sprint #3 with a Team that is new to Agile/Scrum
      but consists of seasoned development engineers. One trend that I
      have noticed over the course of these first 3 sprints is the Team's
      casual attitude about completing the Sprint Backlog. I've heard
      several comments such as 'Well, it doesn't look like we're going to
      have enough time to complete that last story' on the sprint
      backlog. I am just not seeing the Team truly understand the meaning
      of 'committing' to the Sprint Backlog, even though I try to get them
      to elicit a statement of commitment at the conclusion of each Sprint
      Planning meeting.

      Can any of you share your ideas on how I can better instill an
      understanding among my Team of what it means to 'commit' to the
      Sprint Backlog? I certainly understand that the Team may have over-
      committed during the Sprint Planning meetings and genuinely cannot
      complete a Sprint Backlog. But that is not the case: I am seeing
      some members doing design work, or building libraries, that actually
      have nothing to do with the Sprint Backlog, just because they think
      these activities are truly important and should be done. But this
      results in all the user stories not being completed by the end of
      our sprints. And the reaction I'm seeing from Team members is
      like 'Oh well, that's the way it goes. We ran out of time'.

      Your ideas on how I can better enlist the Team's commitment to focus
      on, and complete, the sprint backlog would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Doug

      --
      Plamen Balkanski
      Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP), MCSD