27844Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: "Not enough testers"

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Mar 5, 2008
      I like Ilja's reply, and agree.

      What can be a worry here is if the team wants to gain testing resources to "off load" the testing responsibilities to -- that is not be accountable themselves for it.  It seems this would be a bad thing.

      If they feel they lack the expertise to write tests with Silk (or whatever framework) that's another matter.

      On a team I've worked with we had some really bad QA people.  The team was suffering because of it, and knew it.  Eventually they were replaced with a very skilled and knowledgeable QA person.  Over time they were able to identify the team's issues and start working with the team in providing suggestions for change and new approaches to the work.  The team is learning from them, and this is good.  I think this is what you'd hope for in gaining a QA resource.  They attend the planning meetings and stand-ups, etc. and are a full team member.

      As I said -- the way it can go really bad is the team points all their fingers at the QA person as to why the software is garbage ... even though the QA person probably never wrote a line of code themselves.  :-)

      Keep the team accountable.

      On Mar 5, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Ilja Preuss wrote:

      Tobias Mayer wrote:

      But if the team feel they can better learn these skills by having an
      expert on the team then it sounds like a valid self-organizing move to
      request that expertize.

      The question, of course, is whether they said "we don't have enough
      testers to learn from them fast enough", or "we don't have enough
      testers so that we don't have to care about writing tests ourselves."

      Cheers, Ilja

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional