27841Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: "Not enough testers"

  • John Bradway
    Mar 5, 2008
      It's not that the team does not possess testing skill.  They have 2 experienced talented testers, the developers practice TDD already, and there is an excellent fitnesse framework already in place.  I think the pain comes from the need to deliver GUI level acceptance automation [written in Silk].  I'd like to see the team challenge themselves to overcome this obstacle in a creative manner, but have doubts on whether this point should be stressed.

      I'm not sure what exactly I digging for here, perhaps, "How much can a team be expected or even pushed to work cross functionally"?

      John

      On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Tobias Mayer <tobias.mayer@...> wrote:

      Hi John,

      Testing is a skill that current team members may or may not have.  Sure they can learn it, and learn it by doing it is probably the best way.  But if the team feel they can better learn these skills by having an expert on the team then it sounds like a valid self-organizing move to request that expertize.

      It is good to ask the questions you are asking, but in the end it comes down to this: how much do you trust the team?   Or better, how much will you trust the team?

      Tobias

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "John Bradway" <jbradway@...> wrote:

      > Heard in a meeting to other day that a team would have trouble delivering
      > because they did not have enough testing resources. This struck me
      > immediately as a scrum "smell", the whole improvise, adapt and overcome
      > mindset that should be day to day for a high performing cross-functional
      > scrum team. [In truth, a very strong team making this statement]
      >
      > In retrospection, however, I'm beginning to doubt my opinion. If a team
      > feels they lack the expertise in certain areas is this not a true impediment
      > that should be addressed? Should not testing be considered one of these
      > expertise areas or is this just a function of team members not wanting to
      > work cross functionally?
      >
      > Has anyone else encountered this kind of impediment?
      >
      > Regards,
      > John

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic