      From: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com [mailto: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Tobias Mayer
      Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 6:24 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: NEW SCRUM PROJECT

      Mark,

      > but it's certainly a goal that's worth
      shooting for. :-)
      I agree.  The process of doing Scrum and really using the review and retrospective to improve should be getting teams to this point.

      Ken,
      > So I ask them to estimate what part of
      this they can't do (we can only "do" 60% of all work in an increment) ...
      This sound like one of those organizational impediments you mentioned in an earlier thread that needs to be addressed.  Wouldn't you agree? It almost sounds like your approach is to simply accept it.  I hope that was just the wording of the message :-)

      Tobias

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com , "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

      > RandyInQ8 mentioned the "backlog", but it wasn't clear if it
      referred
      > to the Product Backlog, or the Sprint Backlog.
      >
      > The Sprint backlog should contain every task that is required to
      > complete the feature/story as agreed upon by the PO .
      If the PO agrees
      > that the features can be considered "done" with work remaining,
      e.g.
      > training, performance testing, etc., typically handled in a
      > stabilization/ rollout sprint, then I agree that the remaining work
      can
      > be left out of the Sprint Backlog, and should be kept in the Product
      > Backlog.
      >
      > Yes, I totally agree that most organizations can't roll out to
      > production at the end of every Sprint, but it's certainly a goal
      > that's worth shooting for. :-)
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com ,
      "Ken Schwaber"
      > ken.schwaber@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Where in "agile" does it say that. In Scrum, we want every
      increment
      > to be
      > > potentially shippable. That means that there is no unestimated
      > "undone" work
      > > that has to be taken into account, no work that is usually covered in
      > > stability, alpha, user acceptance and other periods of indeterminate
      > length.
      > > This, of course, does include training, support, stability testing,
      > > performance testing, security testing, etc. Most organizations can't
      > do all
      > > of this. So I ask them to estimate what part of this they can't do
      > (we can
      > > only "do" 60% of all work in an increment) and to
      continually update a
      > > product backlog item called "Undone Work." In this way, the
      product
      > backlog
      > > retains some level of truth, although the work often compounds more
      > than in
      > > a linear fashion,
      > >
      > > Ken
      > >

      > > _____

      On Behalf Of woynam
      > > Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:57 PM
      > > To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      > > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: NEW SCRUM PROJECT
      > >

      > > In agile, the story/feature/ item is not "done" until
      it's ready to
      > > install into production. The Sprint Backlog should include every task
      > > necessary to get the feature completed, including all testing,
      > > required documentation, training, installation, etc.
      > >
      > > Will the developer be doing all these tasks, or will somebody else be
      > > joining the team?
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@ <mailto:scrumdevelop ment%40yahoogrou ps.com>
      > > yahoogroups. com, "RandyInQ8" <tangcov@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thank you everyone. I will try all of these as I progress with
      the
      > > > Scrum method. I would like to ask you about the product backlog.
      > > > basically have 8 items to deliver. According to the developer,
      it
      > > > will take him about 80 hours per item.
      > > >
      > > > Would these items the only thing I would need in my back log or
      do I
      > > > need to show development, QA and UAT components for each back
      log
      > item?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Randy
      > > >
      > > > --- In scrumdevelopment@ <mailto:scrumdevelop ment%40yahoogrou ps.com>
      > > yahoogroups. com, "Tobias Mayer"

      BA all
      > > share a

      > > features,
      > > com/dp/0321205685> (assuming you haven't already).

      > > tested and
      > > iteration.

      > > consists of
      > > up. If