26855Re: The Scrum Release Plan Dilemma

  • Tobias Mayer
    Feb 4, 2008
      Hi Alistair,

      > "With what we NOW know, what will the most useful system we can create look like on THAT date?"
      > ... "What would it look like if we changed the date?"

      Yes, this is useful. It is simple and elegant.  I think it is probably all that is needed in terms of "release planning".  It has a focus on establishing and expressing vision, without counting points or stories or anything else.

      Vision in the Agile process is vital for success, whether it is a vision statement for the whole project, for a particular date-driven release or a single sprint (i.e. a sprint goal).  Without vision we may as well all go find another job because the one we are in is gonna suck ;-)

      Tobias

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "aacockburn" <acockburn@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Mayer"
      > tobyanon@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I have never found a project that has a meaningful
      > > and complete backlog.
      > > These are features that previously were simply not
      > > thought of, and only emerged as a result of the
      > > stakeholders seeing the working software.
      > > It plays havoc with any kind of release planning.
      > > How do you do effective release planning in the
      > > face of all this change?
      > > The alternative is to have no release plan, or a
      > > purely date-driven plan with little knowledge of what
      > > will be in each release beyond some wild guesswork.
      >
      > You semi answer the question ... you have to move to a
      > date-driven plan.
      >
      > The purpose of each release planning exercise now becomes:
      >
      > "With what we NOW know, what will the most useful system
      > we can create look like on THAT date?"
      >
      > Personally, I think that is a valuable exercise. It allows
      > also for the sponsors to reply with,
      >
      > "What would it look like if we changed the date?"
      >
      > Personally, I think that you should always have a coarse-
      > grained statement of time and content goal (and everyone
      > on the team should know it). If you are missing that, then
      > it is hard for everyone on the team (including the sponsors)
      > to pull in the same direction.
      >
      > Does this help you out at all?
      >
      > Alistair

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic