26822Re: Importance of Scrum Master Training / Cert

  • jay_conne
    Feb 3, 2008
      Hi "tpagliocco" (can't guess a name from that),

      You and other respondents raise a bunch of interesting questions - let
      me take a shot at some...

      1. Trying to successfully do Scrum after just reading books...

      Some books have great insights and practical tactics, especially
      those by Mike Cohn and the Poppendiecks. However, "getting it" is not
      just a intellectual exercise - it's about habit change. And habit
      change is about practice, practice, practice. But that practice must
      be informed by the ideas that drive good practice. To "get it", one
      needs to internalize new values, principles and practices - and that's
      not easy.

      2. Taking a CSM course...

      There are some very good people teaching Scrum. Some of those are
      CST certified by the Scrum Alliance (AKA Ken). Some have not joined
      that club and are very insightful about what's important and what are
      typical errors of thinking. To be clear about what a SCM gives you,
      it's about 2 days of class with some lecture and some exercises. If
      you pay your money, show up and don't upset the teacher, you are one.
      Not a very high hurdle. The value one gets out of the class can
      depend alot on what what one comes in with. When I first heard Ken
      speak at a professional meeting, a lot resonated with my decades of
      experience and I immediately decided to take the next CSM class.

      I think the value of CSM training is simply understanding a new
      paradigm and why the traditional one was wrong. To my mind, the error
      is essentially one premise: It has been assumed that if we do
      masterful requirements engineering, write a masterful spec, and then
      build and test to that spec, we'll be successful. We will almost
      always fail. The reason is that the customer only knows what he wants
      in broad business terms without a clue about all the details. Those
      are to be discovered by all. Scrum provides some of the tools to
      support that.

      3. Getting an experienced coach to help...

      There are two sides to the challenge of transforming an
      organization to a new paradigm. The easier one is getting a new idea
      understood. The hard one is getting rid of the old ones. Habits
      are... well... habits. And they can be what we base our professional
      sense of worth on. That's not easy to set aside. And that's why
      having a coach can make all the difference. A good coach provides
      continuous teaching and reinforcement as well as being a mirror to the
      team members and management.

      As I write this, it's about two hours before the Super Bowl
      kickoff. I have been admiring the amazingly brilliant, leadership,
      teamwork and focus that Bill Belicheck and Tom Brady are bringing to
      the NE Patriots. What an example for our Scrum teams and
      ScrumMasters. I use sports teams for concrete examples of many
      essential principles in my raining and coaching of Agile/Scrum teams.

      Let me close with saying, I have seen companies try to run Agile/Scrum
      teams with only book learning and some short classes, and it's not a
      pretty sight.

      Good luck,

      Jay
      Jay Conne Consulting - Demystification of Technology
      Agile Project Management Leadership
      Lean/Agile Coach, Trainer & ScrumMaster-Practicing
      617-776-0339 http://www.jconne.com/
      M: 617-470-5038 Jay@...

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "tpagliocco" <tpagliocco@...>
      wrote:

      > So going now before we bring in a scrum coach (if we do, it wouldn't
      be for a while), I interpret your statement that this would great for
      a new scrum team that is trying to "get it" and also wanting to make
      sure we're not mis-interpreting anything from our library of books.

      > Also groups like this make for fantastic community support as well.

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre Mengal" <pierre@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I tried to implement Scrum 2 years ago by reading books (Ken's
      pair, Mike Cohn thing and Henrik's bytes) and articles on the internet.

      > > When I attended the CSM course few months later, I found that I
      was doing many things wrong. This is probably why I was getting
      average results ;)

      > > The course helped me to "get it".
      > >
      > > If you are willing to implement Scrum in your organization, I
      highly suggest you to send your developers to certification courses or
      hire a certified coach.

      > > Pierre
      > > On Jan 20, 2008 7:15 AM, tpagliocco <tpagliocco@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Our team is new to Scrum and to the framework and rules that
      go along with it. I'd say for being new to the game, the team is
      getting hungry to a) learn more about scrum and b) begin banging out
      more in less time.

      > > > Overall, this a good thing.

      Master Certification help me not only lead my team, but also help to
      continue educating on the foundations of scrum.

      > > > Our CTO is a great resource for help on scrum (however he's not
      in our office, but in our corporate office in another state) but I
      believe in my role I have to not only continue to expand my knowledge
      on the subject but also try and educate myself as fast as possible so
      I can help guide the rest of the office.

      > > > Your opinions are welcome. Thanks much.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic