26156Re: Break down product backlog problem

  • Tom Mellor
    Jan 3, 2008
      Ah, yes, it seems he is "ferally tied to the tyranny of the
      waterfall." It is an all-too-familiar scene with few painless
      options or remedies. Well, other than taking him off the project
      and putting a CSM on it, there are few choices. The real suffering
      party here, I bet, is the team. Talk about confusing for them!!

      In fairness to the PM, he should at least be encouraged and provided
      the opportunity to attend CSM training asap, or otherwise be honest
      with himself and you if he concludes he won't or doesn't want to
      accept Scrum. I know of several companies where managers left after
      Scrum was adopted because they simply had no desire to give up
      positional authority in a command and control environment and try to
      change to lead in a self-directed team environment. John Chambers,
      CEO of Cisco, said that 15 to 20% of his leadership team "left"
      after the company moved to that environment. It isn't for everyone.

      One thing for sure, no one person should be allowed to impact a
      project or team detrimentally to the point where their behavior
      places the project at risk.