26128Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and outsourced teams

  • Alexey Krivitsky
    Jan 2, 2008
      I agree with the points.

      I'd like to add that since distributed development is still being done on the single planet (thanks. God!) it should be almost always possible to meet regularly face to face for the most critical activities (like relese/sprint planning, demos) thus reducing the negative impact of the distributed env.

      Good luck to you in 2008!

      --
      Alexey Krivitsky,
      Coordinator of AgileUkraine.org

      On Dec 12, 2007 7:51 PM, dta_1976 <dta_1976@...> wrote:

      hi dadi,

      i´m a po (or requirements mgr) in two portal projects that are
      developed in a global distributed delivery mode. here are my lessons
      learned:

      - communication is key (yeah i know, just want to highlight this)
      - the 3rd party have to understand and commit to agile i.e. they have
      to introduce a sm and get the meaning of committment and done (at
      least you must share the same understanding)
      - have a stronger focus on QA while they´re adapting new methology
      - make daily checkpoints, communication has to be a constant flow
      - enable everything that helps communication, instant messanging,
      video conferencing ... you name it
      - people have to travel to the other geography - its crucial to see
      you once in a while. if thats too expensive for your sponsor - forget it.
      - you need at least 1 person in the team experienced in agile
      development to show the other the how and wow

      hope that helped?

      rgds,
      dta

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Dadi Ingolfsson"

      <blubberplinth@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I'm currently coaching at an organization where one local team is
      > working on a product and product backlog where a large part of the
      > work will be done by a team from another organization. That is, my
      > client buys a solution from this offshore org, does many
      > customizations on it which most are performed here by my client's
      > developers, but a specific well-defined part of the backlog will be
      > done by the solution provider. The solution provider has done work for
      > my client before and then in a fixed-price, fixed-scope manner. Now,
      > we want to integrate their work with our and try to persuade them to
      > give us releases every month from our prioritized product backlog. We
      > are using user stories for our requirements and want to continue to do
      > so with them.
      >
      > It looks like we are only going to be able to talk to them about this
      > over the phone, not face-to-face, so communication will be difficult.
      >
      > Anybody have experience doing something similar? How did it go? How
      > would you apply Scrum here? What would you do and what would you not
      > do? What would you do differently than when the team is all in one
      place?

      > Best regards,
      > Dadi.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic