25592Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Product Owner as Scrum Coach

  • Pierre Mengal
    Dec 3, 2007
      I have a case where the PO want to drop all possible "tests" (because it is a waste for him), ask developers to do extra hours, etc... to meet the deadline. All classical mistakes.

      He has the same objective as the team: "deliver on time".

      However he is probably wrong on "how to deliver on time".

      This is two different things for me.

      Pierre

      On Dec 3, 2007 2:50 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:

      On Nov 30, 2007 3:12 PM, Pierre Mengal <pierre@...> wrote:
      Conflict of interest ? All the actors are not supposed to have the same interest ? The success of the project ?

      The sole interest cannot be "the success of the project" if the implied undercurrent is "at any cost the PO will not personally feel". The Scrum Master might have to instill a sense of reality in the PO. If the PO is driving the team to a non-sustainable pace, and the team doesn't pick up on this (and it's easy to lose track of this if you're in the middle of it all), the SM must intervene.

      So yes, it can be a conflict of interest. In the example above, the project interest conflicts with the company interest (there's little value in burnt-out employees).

      Emile

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic