25001Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Manifesto, a pragmatic statement

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Nov 6, 2007
      Michael, I must admit that I love the principles behind the Agile
      Manifesto. Often, however, I get feedback that the manifesto itself is
      naive... I've never signed it because I don't want to defend somebody
      else's words being misunderstood - my own are misunderstood often enough :)

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
      dan@..., 425-269-8628

      Michael James wrote:

      > A recent discussion gave me the impression
      > people might see the Agile Manifesto as
      > hypothesis coming from "ivory towers."
      >
      > In fact it comes from practical experience
      > in the trenches.
      >
      > I'll admit I'm an idealist. But everything
      > written below (from http://agilemanifesto.org/
      > <http://agilemanifesto.org/> )
      > strikes me as pragmatic, especially "while
      > there is value to the items on the right, we
      > value the items on the left more."
      >
      > --mj

      > Manifesto for Agile Software Development
      >
      > We are uncovering better ways of developing
      > software by doing it and helping others do it.
      > Through this work we have come to value:
      >
      > Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
      > Working software over comprehensive documentation
      > Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
      > Responding to change over following a plan
      >
      > That is, while there is value in the items on
      > the right, we value the items on the left more.

      > Principles behind the Agile Manifesto
      >
      > We follow these principles:
      >
      > Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
      > through early and continuous delivery
      > of valuable software.
      >
      > Welcome changing requirements, even late in
      > development. Agile processes harness change for
      > the customer's competitive advantage.
      >
      > Deliver working software frequently, from a
      > couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a
      > preference to the shorter timescale.
      >
      > Business people and developers must work
      > together daily throughout the project.
      >
      > Build projects around motivated individuals.
      > Give them the environment and support they need,
      > and trust them to get the job done.
      >
      > The most efficient and effective method of
      > conveying information to and within a development
      > team is face-to-face conversation.
      >
      > Working software is the primary measure of progress.
      >
      > Agile processes promote sustainable development.
      > The sponsors, developers, and users should be able
      > to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
      >
      > Continuous attention to technical excellence
      > and good design enhances agility.
      >
      > Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
      > of work not done--is essential.
      >
      > The best architectures, requirements, and designs
      > emerge from self-organizing teams.
      >
      > At regular intervals, the team reflects on how
      > to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts
      > its behavior accordingly.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic