24986Re: Retrospective questions

  • luau_boy
    Nov 5, 2007
      Esther -

      Thanks for the reply. Do you consider the introduction of Agile/SCRUM
      into an IT organization a 'cultural' event? In other words, is the
      idea of introducing Agile/SCRUM into an IT shop the result of a larger
      'retrospective' that senior management may/should have undertaken in
      order to properly position the team(s) for the 'significant' changes
      that Agile/SCRUM connotate?

      I'm wondering if a retrospective isn't just another name for
      'continual process improvement'?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Esther Derby" <derby@...> wrote:

      > When the scope of the retrospective is one team (5-10 people) a half-day
      > retrospective for a 30 day sprint is reasonable. The team is looking at
      > what *they* can do to improve *their* practices and team work.
      >
      > What you describe below is looking at improvements that cross
      organizational
      > boundaries. The basic flow of the retrospective meeting may still
      be the
      > same, but it takes a different level of planning and coordination, both
      > before and after the retrospective.
      >
      > I'd want to have a plan to make the meeting effective whether it's
      an hour
      > or 3 days. To get benefits from retrospectives, the team (or group)
      needs to
      > think, learn and decide together and that requires more than
      answering "What
      > worked/What to do differently."
      >
      > We cover some of the difference between team/release/project
      retrospectives
      > (plus lots of resources for sprint retrospectives) in Agile
      Retrospectives:
      > Making Good Teams Great (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006).
      >
      > ED
      >
      > Esther Derby
      > Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      > 612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com
      >
      > **Secrets of Agile Teamwork PUBLIC workshop: December 11-13, 2007 in
      > Portland, OR**

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic