24985RE: [scrumdevelopment] Retrospective questions

  • Esther Derby
    Nov 5, 2007
      When the scope of the retrospective is one team (5-10 people) a half-day
      retrospective for a 30 day sprint is reasonable. The team is looking at
      what *they* can do to improve *their* practices and team work.

      What you describe below is looking at improvements that cross organizational
      boundaries. The basic flow of the retrospective meeting may still be the
      same, but it takes a different level of planning and coordination, both
      before and after the retrospective.

      I'd want to have a plan to make the meeting effective whether it's an hour
      or 3 days. To get benefits from retrospectives, the team (or group) needs to
      think, learn and decide together and that requires more than answering "What
      worked/What to do differently."

      We cover some of the difference between team/release/project retrospectives
      (plus lots of resources for sprint retrospectives) in Agile Retrospectives:
      Making Good Teams Great (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006).

      ED

      Esther Derby
      Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com

      **Secrets of Agile Teamwork PUBLIC workshop: December 11-13, 2007 in
      Portland, OR**

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic