2492Re: Iteration Length

  • agiletoken
    Feb 11, 2004
      I totally agree. I have implemented an agile process with four (4)
      one (1) week iterations enveloped within a 30 day Scrum Sprint. The
      one week XP interations enforce good engineering practices and the 30
      day sprint ensures business to technical community alignment. The
      team meets Monday morning and establishes goals for the week - taken
      from sprint backlog.

      The daily standup reflects on the progress for the. The team has an
      option to change the goals for the week on Wednesday, as it is a mid-
      point and the team generally has a very good idea on whether the
      goals will be met on Friday. On Friday, the team confirms the
      deliverables. From the engineering perspective, the once the team
      commits to the Friday goals, no one leaves until the team has
      delivered the goals and an integration build completed and all
      testcases executed.

      Tareq

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kerievsky <jlk@i...>
      wrote:
      > Patrick Parato wrote:
      >
      > > We are currently using one week interations with success. We have
      > > couple of reasons for doing just this. The development team and
      the
      > > business are both relatively new to Agile and we are trying to
      expose
      > > everybody to different types of situations quickly. We hope
      people
      > > will learn about the whole life cycle of an Agile project faster.
      By
      > > making the iterations more frequent, we get more practice with
      the
      > > overall Agile experience. We may be trading off some efficiency
      for
      > > some beneift in education, but everybody understands that the
      > > iteration length can change when it is considered necessary to do
      so.

      > > The only drawback we have seen is that the development team
      fizzles
      > > out close to the end of the iteration. The tasks will be all
      complete
      > > but people don't want to admit it because the one week iterations
      make
      > > them feel constantly under pressure. The developers don't really
      like
      > > the feeling that they can't vary thier effort depending on mood,
      > > health, or other external stimuli. Some developers believe that
      one
      > > month long iteration allows them more freedom to vary thier pace,
      and
      > > that the one week iteration is too much pressure. Very similar to
      > > micro management.
      >
      > By planning according to a team's velocity (which is calculated at
      every
      > iteration end), XPers ensure that programmers have enough time to
      > implement iteration stories using good development practices
      without
      > feeling under pressure. Feeling under pressure results from
      committing
      > to doing too much during a given period of time. So 1-week
      iterations
      > don't cause pressure. Taking on more work than you can do causes
      > pressure. Yet many programmers haven't yet had that insight.
      >
      > best regards
      > jk
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic