      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:31 AM
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Potentially releasable software

      Hi Mark,

      "potentially releasable" does not mean you should go and file for a Class II approval every 4 weeks (or whatever your sprint cycle is). It only means that if you wanted to, you could go and do it. Quite clearly there is no sense in actually doing it at that frequency.
      If you need a full week to run a complete cycle of tests, then I would suggest that there are probably improvements to be made to your testing. The vast majority of your testing should be automated and run in less than 15 minutes. There are numerous test frameworks available for just about any programming environment you can think of. That should reduce the number of tests that have to be run manually drastically and therefore shorten that time dramatically.

      Scrum is quite clear about the fact that there should be release planning and that the PO and the team should consider doing a "release sprint" prior to an actual release to do all those things that you would not add to a normal sprint. I am not an expert on this, because we write internal software and we actually do release every 2 weeks (but then we don't have to get FDA Class II approval), but I am sure others on this list can say more about this.

      Regards,

      Wolfgang