2485Re: [scrumdevelopment] Iteration Length

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Feb 9, 2004
      Ken Schwaber wrote:

      > What is the optimal length of an iteation, and what are the factors
      > that are relevant to the various lengths of iterations that are
      > deemed most appropriate?

      I have enjoyed two-weeks iterations to start a project, then one-week
      iterations, as needed, towards the release date.

      The idea is that we need larger chunks of time to hit our stride and to
      allow for some experimental error. Without that experimental time, we
      tend not to learn as much, which inhibits our ability to prepare for the
      next game.

      I find that one-week iterations are best for focusing on doing what we
      know how to do. At this granularity, we can steer very well. I find that
      two-week iterations are best when we need to learn things, because then
      we feel less pressure when we might accidentally burn a day or two going
      down a rathole.
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services