24696No Best practice was: Re: Sprint whiteboard and issue tracking tools?

  • rsagb007
    Oct 22, 2007
      hi Paul
      well said.

      What i always say (sometimes pray):
      "Tools and methods can never replace the common sense."
      and "Think first."

      That's for those who think they will succeed if they use this or that
      (tool).

      One year ago, a department manager from a customer told me, that i was
      a bad "project manager because i didn't use MS-Project, and paint the
      plan on paper" (large sheets of wrapping paper)...:-))

      We developed an application with round about 300 dialogs. First
      i asked my designer-team (16 designer and developers) how to cut it
      into sprints (depending on dialog-flow etc.).
      After that, we made a large landscape (in order of the dialog-flow and
      sprints) and every dialog had a marked place on it.
      And after every sprint, we made little screenshots of developed and
      tested dialogs and glued it on the "landscape".
      So every one could see, what we have finished and what not.

      It's a pity that i didn't made a photo of this.... because "i am a bad
      project manager".....

      Now i use white plastic self-adhesiv sheets (electrically charged
      without glue) which can used instead of a whiteboard...:-)

      Best

      Reiner Schindler

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Oldfield"
      <PaulOldfield1@...> wrote:

      > (responding to George, Austin)
      >
      > >> (Austin)
      > >> Bug tracking systems *are* a best practice.
      > >
      > > (George)
      > > No practice is "best" for all contexts. I agree with Michael
      > > that attacking the need for a bug tracking system is a
      > > powerful approach. If bug tracking is a "best practice,"
      > > then bug elimination is a "better than best practice" in
      > > my experience...
      >
      > It is best (Oops! good) never to use the term "best practice".
      > That is a political or religious term; it says "You don't need
      > to think about this". Its use belongs in places where people
      > can't, won't or shouldn't think about how they do their work.
      >
      > One should always ask oneself; of those three, which applies
      > in this situation?
      >
      > Paul Oldfield

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic