      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: lists@...
      Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:41:46 -0400
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint whiteboard and issue tracking tools?

      Austin Ziegler wrote:
      > On 10/19/07, Michael James <michael@danube. com> wrote:
      >> --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Sebastien ARBOGAST"
      >> <sebastien.arbogast @...> wrote:
      >> > What do you think? What are the best practices in that matter?
      >> Some practices which tend to reduce the need for a bug tracking
      >> system:
      >
      > Bug tracking systems *are* a best practice.

      No practice is "best" for all contexts. I agree with Michael that
      attacking the need for a bug tracking system is a powerful approach. If
      bug tracking is a "best practice," then bug elimination is a "better
      than best practice" in my experience. Keeping track of things in the
      product backlog and the list of "done" stories works pretty well, too,
      in my experience.

      > One should NEVER develop software without a tracking system, even in a
      > one person shop, because you'll FORGET. You'll change some code, come
      > back to it six months later, and have forgotten why the code was
      > changed the way it was.

      I suggest that a test is a better way of tracking the issue, at least
      for me. Once I put a comment in code that I tried, twice, to
      optimize--but the simplified version would fail in one corner case.
      Today I'd probably find a way to express that in the code without a
      comment. Do you actually troll through your bug tracking system before
      you edit a piece of code?

      > I'm not arguing with your scrum practices here, but tracking systems
      > -- done right -- are as important as compilers for software
      > development.

      That I'll definitely dispute. I've developed lots of software without a
      bug tracking system. The only software I've developed without a
      compiler has been in assembly language. This leads me to believe that
      compilers and assemblers are more central to software development than
      bug tracking systems.

      By all means, use a bug tracking system if it's helping you. But please
      don't insist that they're "best practice" for all situations. And you
      might want to consider, given that some people have learned practices
      that cause them not to get value from a bug tracking system, how you
      might get the same value in a simpler way.

      - George

      * George Dinwiddie * http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
      Software Development http://www.idiacomp uting.com
      Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemar yland.org

      Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic