24286Re: Sprint cycles?

  • Mike Sutton
    Oct 5, 2007
      i started M-F and that worked well. For a while and then I thought,
      people like to leave early on friday and don't wanna sit in a 4 hours
      meeting on a monday - that kindda curses the rest of the week. So we
      took something that was working kind of OK and changed it.

      Now we do Friday-Thurs, Sprint reviews on the Thursday, Sprint
      planning on a Friday...sometimes in the office, sometimes at the pub.

      A fringe benefit was to discover that certain individuals could not
      help but think about work on the weekends, so they come in on Monday
      full of ideas to make doing some of the sprint backlog a little
      better. Monday then becomes a real ramped up day.

      even if it works, still try and change something small and see whether
      you get better outcomes from your teams

      mike.
      csm.cspo.certfied.certifable.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Tina <colemanserious@...> wrote:

      > I actually took the other tack, and appreciated the regular rhythm
      of M-F.
      > That let folks know that Mondays were sprint kickoffs, Fridays we were
      > wrapping up, etc. If we had a week with a Monday holiday, we
      adjusted our
      > meetings by a day, and also then adjusted what we thought we could
      do for
      > the sprint.
      >
      > I figured the regularity of the sprints was a big win for us, and that
      > vacations, etc, would otherwise alter sprints anyway, so trying to get
      > precisely a 80 hour timebox per team member wasn't going to happen..
      >

      > On 10/5/07, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Fredrik,
      > >

      > > I'm pretty new to Scrum Development myself, but I find it best to
      stick to
      > > cycles that are the same duration rather than constrain them from
      Monday to
      > > Friday.
      > >

      > > What this means to us is that while starting a ten-day sprint on a
      > > Thursday instead of a Monday, for example, isn't as neat in the
      calendar, it
      > > allows the team to develop a rhythm for each sprint and also gives
      us a
      > > fairer sprint velocity calculation.
      > >

      > > This is only my take on the issue, however – I'd be keen to hear from
      > > other people on this subject also.
      > >

      > > Thanks.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic