24284Re: Sprint cycles?

  • lisakatzenmeier
    Oct 5, 2007
      We've been doing Friday - Thursday sprint cycles for a few years
      now. It works well for us because we end the sprint on Thursday,
      and then plan the next sprint on Friday. Usually we get the sprint
      planned in the morning or early afternoon. That gives us time to
      have "Friday Fun" to celebrate the release of the prior sprint. On
      Monday, the task board is all ready to go and we dive in and "get er
      done".

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "George Dinwiddie"
      <lists@...> wrote:

      > I agree with Tina, though sometimes I find that a mid-week Sprint
      boundary
      > works well. You get the same rhythm with a Wednesday-Tuesday
      timebox, but
      > avoid the sometimes-heavily-overloaded Mondays and Fridays. The
      mid-week
      > boundary sometimes also changes the context enough to allow people
      to look
      > at things with fresh eyes. I find a similar effect when scheduling
      > meetings other than a half-hour boundary.
      >
      > - George
      >
      > On Fri, October 5, 2007 10:17, Tina wrote:
      > > I actually took the other tack, and appreciated the regular
      rhythm of M-F.
      > > That let folks know that Mondays were sprint kickoffs, Fridays
      we were
      > > wrapping up, etc. If we had a week with a Monday holiday, we
      adjusted our
      > > meetings by a day, and also then adjusted what we thought we
      could do for
      > > the sprint.
      > >
      > > I figured the regularity of the sprints was a big win for us,
      and that
      > > vacations, etc, would otherwise alter sprints anyway, so trying
      to get
      > > precisely a 80 hour timebox per team member wasn't going to
      happen..

      > > On 10/5/07, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Hi Fredrik,
      > >>

      > >> I'm pretty new to Scrum Development myself, but I find it best
      to stick
      > >> cycles that are the same duration rather than constrain them
      from Monday
      > >> Friday.
      > >>

      > >> What this means to us is that while starting a ten-day sprint
      on a
      > >> Thursday instead of a Monday, for example, isn't as neat in the
      > >> calendar, it
      > >> allows the team to develop a rhythm for each sprint and also
      gives us a
      > >> fairer sprint velocity calculation.
      > >>

      > >> This is only my take on the issue, however – I'd be keen to
      hear from
      > >> other people on this subject also.
      > >>

      > >> Thanks.
      > >>

      > >> ------------------------------

      Monday
      > >> to Friday (we use 2 week sprints so it is actually Monday to
      next
      > >> Friday) compared to having another "cycle", say Wednesday to
      Tuesday.

      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      http://www.idiacomputing.com
      http://www.agilemaryland.org