22832RE: [scrumdevelopment] Team building activities

  • Esther Derby
    Aug 4, 2007

      Hi, Robyn –

      Nice to see you, too.

      A couple of things come to mind.  You could do something like personal posters to help new and old team members get to know each other a bit.  Or you could do a team values activity to identify a shared set of values that the “new” team will own and refer to in their work.

      Both of these activities address the “Who are you?” questions that people have about others on the team as they come together and begin to establish professional trust (professional trust = “I trust your competence and your intentions toward the team.”)

      Spending time together on non-work activities can help a team gel by creating the social glue that will stand the team in good stead when they hit rough spots.  People just tend to be a little more generous in conflict when  they share some common ground/experiences.

      I’d recommend activities that don’t assume physical prowess.  Activities that get people laughing seem to work best in my experience.  You might try a card game like apples-to-apples, Flux, trivial pursuits or werewolf (though I do have philosophical objections to killing people off).

      Best,

      Esther

      Esther Derby
      Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com

      **Secrets of Agile Teamwork PUBLIC workshop: September 17-19, 2007 in Stockholm **