      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: dave.barrett@...
      Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:16:00 -0400
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Technology Decisions, The Team and the PO

      >> If a technology decision is not going to affect the schedule, limit what
      >> can be done in the future, change the cost of the project or have some
      >> other negative impact , then it falls to the developers to decide.
      >>
      >Just out of curiosity, why? How did you come to that conclusion?

      Well, there is a certain point at which the PO simply won't care what the
      decision is. "Nested IF's or a CASE statement?", maybe even "Ruby or
      Java?".

      What IS going to cause a problem is having to tell the the PO sometime down
      the road that you can't do something in a reasonable amount of time because
      you chose to use Ruby instead of Java back at the beginning of the project.

      There's probably a fairly large number of issues where there are company
      (or IT department) policies which dictate the choices, or where the PO is
      willing to simply trust that the developers will make the best choice.
      These are probably cases where the PO's main contribution to the decision
      making process would be to clarify outside criteria so that the developers
      have all of the information that the need to make an informed decision.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company