2264Re: [scrumdevelopment] Nesting weekly iterations within monthly s prints

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Nov 26, 2003
      In a message dated 11/26/2003 3:18:52 PM Mountain Standard Time, ronjeffries@... writes:
      I suspect -- and I offer this with the greatest love -- that one reason
      that Scrum and Crystal Clear suggest a one-month iteration size is that
      without further practices to keep things going, shorter iterations would be
      over before anyone did anything. If that were true, however, the right
      thing might not be to use longer iterations, but to help the team hit the
      ground running on day 1.
      ---> I love your love, Ron ... Crystal Clear does not recommend 1 month. It sets an upper safety bound of 2 months. I suspect you might not find that distinction very differentiating, but Crystal Clear is not so much about optimality as about defining the location of the safety zone. A week is great, a month is great, and 2 months is still inside the safety zone for most organizations.  Also, Crystal Clear is talking about *releases* of 2 months, where others are talking about non-release iterations, which of course can be shorter.

      <<the right thing might not be to use longer iterations, but to help the team hit the
      ground running on day 1.>>

      This is the heart of the matter, and well phrased.

      cheers - Alistair
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic