22174Re: Self organization. How?

  • Petri Heiramo
    Jun 26, 2007
      Hi,

      > So my questions are (I think):
      > 1. Does work (and life) experience influence a team's ability to self-
      > organise?

      The way I see it, yes it does. But not in the traditional sense. If
      they have practical experience of working as a team, they have a
      better chance of working as a self-managing team slso in the future.
      Of course technical expertise does give more experience to make
      technical decisions, but that doesn't necessarily translate to
      self-management.

      I see proper coaching and support from SM and management as the more
      important factor in fostering self-management. If you make the team
      responsible when they do have to make a choice (rather than making the
      choice for them), they will develop the sense of responsibility (and
      will not even come to you with their problems, unless they think _you_
      can act the solution).

      Conversely, the lack of support from SM and management is the most
      effective means of killing the self-management.

      As to the juniors and seniors discussion, of course seniors will make
      up a more skillful team in means of achieved solutions. They also
      generally cost more and are harder to find. But they are not
      necessarily any better at working as a team than juniors are. I would
      recommend command-and-control only when the juniors are so bad that
      they really can't come up with any meaningful technical solutions (in
      other words, they produce cr*p).

      > 2. How does one accommodate an organisation's anxiety about the
      > perceived loss of control that Scrum brings about.

      I see two things: results and visibility.

      Results is a no-brainer. If there are no results and the team cannot
      convincingly explain why, it's not a good team and something needs to
      be done about it. If the team cranks up results sprint after sprint
      (and can even increase their performance), does it even make any
      difference how they are organized? It helps to compare the performance
      to pre-self-organization, if possible, to see that the improvements
      are real.

      Visibility is something that has really worked here in my company. And
      it especially works at showing that the team can do manage themselves.
      The wall charts are visible to everyone, so anyone could technically
      come over and see where the team stands, at task level. The teams are
      much more capable at saying how complete they really are and whether
      they will get the sprint completed successfully than any team ever
      before. Also the fact that each project shows practical progress at
      the end of any sprint has been a very comforting feeling for our
      product managers and customers.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > PH

      Hope it helps any,