215Re: Splinter Department

  • mpoppendieck
    Feb 9, 2002
      When people go home from work, they coach their kids sports or
      volunteer at church or train for triathlons or engage in other
      passions. We certainly don't expect them to give this up for
      work,
      except maybe temporarily in a crisis. Some people come home from
      working on a Scrum team and work on some Open Source code or put
      together a database for a boy scout troop, and so on. The point of
      the 15% rule is that people who get passionate about something other
      than their regular jobs (but related to their company interests) are
      encouraged to pursue the idea while on the job. By leveraging this
      kind of passion, 3M gets hundreds of new products every year.

      I wonder how we can expect every member of a Scrum team to be
      totally committed to do nothing but work on the backlog over the
      several months a project might run. It seems rather pretentious to
      assume this. I suspect that a well-led Scrum team will motivate all
      the team members to work only on the customer backlog. But if Scrum
      becomes a way of life in an organization, it seems to me that the
      organization should admit that some people on some Scrum teams might
      get distracted and want to do something else some of the time. If
      they can't do it at work, they will do it at home. 3M provides a
      simple mechanism to allow everyone some slack, so they can follow
      their passions at work, and in exchange, the company cashes in on
      the results.

      So I would argue that allowing (not scheduling, allowing) slack in
      everyone's normal schedule, instead of expecting everyone to be
      100%
      committed to what their management wants them to do, is a good
      thing.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

      > One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
      > commitment of every resources in delivering software
      > according to the customer priorities. And the customer
      > priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.
      >
      > So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
      > a traditional Scrum team.
      >
      > Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
      > team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
      > may spend time doing something else without dragging
      > anyone with him/her,
      >
      > - Mike
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic