21388Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: 2nd thoughts .. Rsk-Mgmt and not much of Prince2

  • srinivas chillara
    May 7, 2007
      > Risk management is something that must be done on
      > all projects, but I
      > don't think it is connected with command-and-control
      > vs agile
      > management. It's just part of the work to be done.
      > Dave

      Agreed, anyway I usually don't see things as
      Agile.vs.something or the other.

      Hello Dave,
      On second thoughts, let's not call it a "cookbook" but
      "practice guideline".
      And now have "risk mgmt", perhaps we can use it in the
      context of Scrum?

      This is situation that I've been through sometime ago.
      I was a coach for a team (six good men) implementing
      Scrum for the first time. We planned the first sprint
      (4 week), and things went well for about a week. It
      was important to show good progress to the higher
      mgmt.
      After about a week, the PO pushed off on leave
      (holiday) for 2 weeks. Then just before he returned
      the Scrum master took a week off, and so did another
      team member a bit earlier. Ofcourse this impacted the
      performance of the team for the sprint. They did quite
      OK. However these exptended holidays of 3 people
      during the same sprint was a nasty surprise. Actually
      these people knew they were off on leave, jsut no one
      thought it important enought to announce! (I know
      amazing) These leaves were not taken into account
      during the sprint planning. I think had we done a
      quick risk assessment (ie rsk mgmt) we would have
      planned better.

      Now I am writing a small (one or two pager) Scrum
      implemnetation guide for the company, so they can
      think of things to cover while they run their sprint.
      Like, all team member udate on significant leaves to
      they are about to be taken that month. I am calling
      this a "Scrum-running Guide"
      What's your opinion on this. Should I circulate such a
      guide for the benifit of the company. To a wider
      public, or is it not such a good idea? Will this make
      Scrum more codified/prescriprive/"cookbookish"!?!

      yours in doubt
      Cheenie

      Office firewalls, cyber cafes, college labs, don't allow you to download CHAT? Click here: http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic