21367Re: College initiatives

  • woynam
    May 4, 2007
      I teach part-time in the MSCIS program at the Northwestern University
      School of Continuing Studies, in addition to my day job as a software
      engineer (20 years). I discuss agile (testing) in my Software Testing
      course, and agile (Scrum, and XP) and iterative (RUP) development in
      my Project Management and Software Development course. For
      completeness, I also cover traditional project management topics.
      While I'd love to spend more time covering agile principles and
      practices, the reality is that the majority of the students work for a
      living, and their employers utilize waterfall and TPM, so I have to
      prepare them for that. :-(

      Lastly, I utilize many elements of agile development in the capstone
      project course. Students work in teams to develop a 3-tier system
      over a period of two 4-week iterations. Each iteration focuses on a
      handful of features/use cases/user stories, and results in a working
      application. Students are required to gather minimal requirements,
      design a little, code a little, test a little (acceptance and unit
      tests), and document a little. While documentation is required, it's
      fairly lightweight, as the goal is working software (over
      comprehensive documentation). Unit tests are mandatory, but I do not
      mandate TDD, although I do encourage it.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Heitor Roriz Filho"
      <hroriz@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Does anyone know or runs any innitiative to teach/spread scrum or
      other agile methodologies in colleges? I would like to gather opinions
      about it. Would it be a good idea?

      > Heitor

      > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      2/5/2007 14:16