21319Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Self organization. How?

  • Mark Graybill
    May 2, 2007

      Additional comments...

      The topic addressed (#1) was whether experience influences the process of self-organization, but perhaps the most interesting (and real) topic behind the question is how experience influences the group's work output.

      With scrum it is all about the team.  Group processes are paramount.  But as dev teams go, work experience is essential for good work output, IMHO.  In some cases perhaps the work output of a trained yet inexperienced well-formed dev team may output similar work output of another very experienced but ill-formed dev team.  But this is just speculation - I don't have any specific data in this regard.

      Fortunately, facilitating self-organization in principle falls into the same topic mulled over in countless times past, which I've observed touched on somewhat in the scrum master training I attended (kudos to Ken and Mike).

      So I think there are three concurrent processes involved in bringing scrum into the organization a scrum master must deal with.

      1. The dev team achieving competence in and a paradigm shift of how to do software the scrum way (methods) - this includes the SM (key here being paradigm shift).

      2. The dev team's process of self-organizing (the criticality of team formation is punctuated in scrum over traditional I think).

      3. Fitting a square scrum team and project into an organization's round hole (no hidden puns intended).

      At least this is what I'm dealing with.

      Cheers!
      Mark