21316Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Self organization. How?

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    May 2, 2007

      To your first point, yes.  I would more agree age/experience has a lot more to do with being able to self-organize than technical prowess does.  After all - it's only through experience of being on teams and in situations where you have to direct yourself do you gain such skills.  Just being a great Java programmer doesn't make me a great team member.

      Honestly, all the managers pre-occupied with "maximizing" output and thigns like this are fooling themselves.  You can do a simple experiment taking a bunch of people in a crowded room with a "manager" standing behind them barking commands.  Everyone has to navigate out of the room (over various obsticles) without bumping into others.  Then try the same experiment with a manager in front of the work clearing the obsticles and see what happens.

      The point of the exercise is that it's more efficient to let people make their own decisions and for managers to support them by clearning their path to success.  What managers need to learn to do is become servant leaders and to start trust their teams.  Trust is established when the team starts to become predictable and delivering consistently.  Teams trust that their managers will create an environment of success for them, clearning obsticles.

      On 5/2/07, Peter Hundermark <peterh@...> wrote:

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Cancelliere
      <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

      > What makes senior developers any more effective at self-
      organization?

      > Nicholas

      This question is troubling me too. We have been using Scrum for a few
      months now and senior management continues not to trust teams to self-
      organise. Perhaps more accurately they do not trust that the delivery
      of a self-organised team is optimised.

      So I hear statements like: "If I created a team comprising only
      experienced people, they would self-organise to do the work
      efficiently, but I don't think an inexperienced (or mixed) team can
      do this. We must retain a Project Leader role [within the team] who
      will tell the team what to do when they fail to self-organise." Even
      good PO's appear to be be frustrated by their inability to direct the
      team [via a single point of contact - the PL]. The SM is seen as a
      feminine/motherhood role lacking in 'fatherly' qualities.

      Ken [Schwaber] often says you can take a cr*p team and in a month
      they'll deliver you cr*p (my paraphrase), but this does not directly
      address the perceived leadership vacuum propagated by Scrum.

      So my questions are (I think):
      1. Does work (and life) experience influence a team's ability to self-
      organise?
      2. How does one accommodate an organisation's anxiety about the
      perceived loss of control that Scrum brings about.

      Thanks,

      PH

      --
      Nicholas Cancelliere, Austin TX
      "The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out." -Gildor, Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings)