213RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Splinter Department

  • Mike Beedle
    Feb 9, 2002
      Mary wrote:
      > Mike, I don't think I explained the 15% rule well enough.
      > People are specifically NOT working on Backlog in their
      > 15% time. They are working on their own cool idea. Generally
      > it is not related to any projects they are assigned
      > to in the other 85% of their time. The whole point is
      > that people are free to tackle anything they are
      > interested in during this time. If they had to get
      > their idea from a Backlog, that would defeat the purpose.

      Mary:

      Thanks for the clarification.

      One of the promises that we make in Scrum is focus and
      commitment of every resources in delivering software
      according to the customer priorities. And the customer
      priorities are kept in the prioritized product backlog.

      So this would be difficult, but maybe not impossible in
      a traditional Scrum team.

      Paul's sabbatical would be more feasible, as long as the
      team member on sabbatical is _not_ in the Scrum team, he/she
      may spend time doing something else without dragging
      anyone with him/her,

      - Mike
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic