20845Re: Who updates the Sprint Backlog?

  • hhroark
    Apr 2, 2007
      Maybe I should have labelled this thread 'Do you use a sprint backlog?'

      Mike Cohn has a good write-up on the sprint backlog:
      http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/sprint_backlog

      I, too, optimized away the sprint backlog when first starting Scrum.
      And went along that path for a while...and then thought "Hey, maybe
      I'm missing something...those that came before me are pretty
      smart...let's try this sprint backlog thing."

      The change in behaviour was instant and amazing. The team had another
      artifact in the sprint retrospective to use as input. They were able
      to see when they worked on things in priority order....and when they
      didn't. They were able to see where they added tasks during a
      sprint...and when they removed them with no work. Etc. Etc. Needless
      to say, I now see the wisdom of those that came before me.

      -- Hank

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "wieberneitt"
      <wieberneitt@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > as I understand the post before the sprint backlog has been
      > 'optimized' away by making it the open tasks on the task board that
      > are updated daily by the team members.
      >
      > We are doing a similar approach:
      > Team members update the task board as part of the scrum meeting. The
      > task notes on the board contain the open effort which is updated at
      > this time by the team member responsible for the task.
      >
      > SM consolidates then and updates the burndown.
      >
      > This works pretty well
      >
      > Rgds
      > Thomas
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "hhroark" <Hank.Roark@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What you describe is updating the taskboard and burndown. There is
      > > another artifact, the sprint backlog. It shows the list of tasks on
      > > one axis and days of the sprint on another axis; it captures the
      > > number of hours remaining for each task day by day. It is the history
      > > of the details that happen during the sprint. Are you creating this?
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "eg0master" <yahoo@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I agree that the most important fact is that the team must
      decide how
      > > > they want it done.
      > > > However I can speak for my current project (and I think our approach
      > > > is quite common):
      > > > -Team members update the tasboard whenever they like.
      > > > -The SM verifies that the taskboard is updated at the daily scrum.
      > > > Typically some members always update their tasks befpre the daily
      > > > scrum and some only update during the daily scrum as part of them
      > > > answering the three questions.
      > > > - The SM sums up the time left and updates the burndown chart after
      > > > each daily scrum.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic