20010Re: [scrumdevelopment] Tracking hours for budgets and billing

  • Jeremy Haile
    Mar 6, 2007
      Thanks for your feedback!

      To give you more insight into how we are currently operating. We use
      JIRA to perform backlog management, using JIRA's versions to correspond
      to sprints. We have a separate timesheet entry tool that tracks time in
      larger buckets for billing purposes.

      I've suggested that we only fill in remaining estimate in JIRA (sprint
      backlog items), but fill in time spent in the timesheet program for
      billing. This argument was met with opposition by some people within my
      organization, since the timesheet program is less granular and is not
      updated as often.

      I like your point about entering time in the backlog causing people to
      subconsciously compute the estimate by subtracting the actual. Very
      good argument.

      Also, to head off any tangents, I'm well aware of arguments for simply
      maintaining a whiteboard, etc. for task lists. JIRA has proved useful
      for keeping everything transparent, allowing off-site clients to keep up
      with what is going on, and to support distributed teams when necessary.
      All of these things are non-ideal, but are realities on some projects.

      Jeremy Haile

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic