19855Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Experience with Rallydev's SLM tools?

    Feb 28, 2007
      Hello, Eb. On Wednesday, February 28, 2007, at 1:25:06 PM, you
      wrote:

      > I'd argue that web based tech has increased the amount of
      > interaction between people generally - I'd also note that I keep
      > in touch with a whole host of people via IM and Wiki's and
      > interaction is certainly up for me compared with the early 90's.

      I would think that most people would agree that technology has
      increased the options. As I type this message here, I am also having
      a chat with someone from Germany

      > I know Lewwwent and I know the team - they are anything but
      > isolated and non interactive - for photographic proof search
      > Flickr for "Pizza On Rails"

      > I think what is being exhibited here (generally not specifically
      > you G) is a generational gap in thinking about what interaction
      > is. MySpace, del.icio.us, Facebook, Blogs all that web 2.0 jazz -
      > has shown that plenty of people interact online and that some web
      > technologies actually just give you another option to face to face
      > real time interaction.

      Oddly enough, even those of us from several generations ago know
      that. We also prefer to date real women and pair program face to
      face.

      > Yes face to face real time is be better most of the time - but
      > that does not mean that technologically mediated comms channel are
      > all bad and lead to non agile behaviour.

      They aren't ALL bad and they don't LEAD to non-agile behavior. On
      the other hand they are not AS GOOD, and they HINDER agile behavior,
      to some degree.

      As someone who recommends things, I feel that it's best to push for
      the best, while accepting reality. But reality is changeable ... so
      accepting less isn't always as "pragmatic" as people think it is.

      As someone who has worked both ways ... and seen teams transition in
      both directions, I'm of the opinion that no one who hasn't gone all
      the way has a good enough sense of the value to decide not to go
      there.

      > I think we need some flexibility here in our thinking around what
      > it means to interact.

      I use email here because we can't talk. Doesn't mean it's best. IMO
      it's not.

      But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to
      truth, whatever it might turn out to be. -- Alan Watts
    • Show all 37 messages in this topic