1951RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: flattened cost of change curve

  • Ilja Preuss
    Oct 1, 2003
      Edmund Schweppe wrote:
      > I haven't got Kent's White Book in front of me, and I don't have
      > Barry's paper anywhere, so I'm speaking from oft-fragile memory here,
      > but ...

      Ditto...

      > AFAIK, Barry Boehm's research showed the cost of *fixing defects* grew
      > exponentially.
      >
      > AFAIK, Kent Beck's assertion is that the cost of *making changes*
      > under XP does not grow exponentially.
      >
      > AFAIK, *fixing defects* != *making changes*. More specifically, there
      > exist changes to software that do not involve fixing existing defects.
      > (Obviously, fixing a defect involves making a change. Somewhere.)

      I am not at all sure that Barry made this distinction. Actually I'd
      think that having to "make a change" invariably had to be a reaction to
      a "defect in the requirements" for him. At least that's the only way I
      can imagine introducing a "bug" in the "analysis phase" at all...

      Take care, Ilja
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic