18583RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum illness, symptoms and possible treatments

  • Clinton Keith
    Dec 29, 2006
      From: Tamara Sulaiman

      "Why not address the issues directly with individual teams? Schedule
      separate team retrospectives where you bring up the issues you've
      identified and ask them? (Make sure to bring recent performance
      stats for the team with you.) Bringing in an experienced, nuetral
      facilitator would be of benefit here. You're asking them hard
      questions, and may need to push for some answers."

      This was a common practice when we had separate team Sprint reviews. Our experience was that the chemistry of a team either works or doesn't work. If the peer pressure isn't effective, it doesn't seem as if the customer pressure is either.

      "Also, do you have the Sprint Backlog, with estimates of hours
      remaining and the Sprint Burndown posted prominantly on the wall and
      updated daily? I've found that once teams can see that, every day,
      they are more conscious of the impact of dropping and adding items
      on the sprint backlog, and of driving all stories to completion in
      the Sprint."

      Yes we do. As a customer I would rather have the team nail 50% of the highest priority User Stories in a Sprint than have them think they achieved 100% of them and disappoint us in a review with a "letter of the story, but not spirit". A game development User Story is typically a hard beast to put on a 3x5 card, but most game developers should "know" when it's complete. Even a game player should know if it's really "done" or not.

      "As follow up, perhaps you can take a look at what kind of team
      building efforts can be implemented.(Yeah, I know, it sounds hokey,
      but often it makes a big difference in building team pride.) Does
      it make sense to engage in friendly competition with other teams?
      Does it make more sense to post the stats on Stories Committed to,
      Stories Completed, and Stories postponed (i.e. "lost") on a sprint
      by sprint basis up on the wall? "

      This is a good idea...not hokey. On occasion I've wondered if we couldn't, say, drop a problem team off in the woods with three matches and a pile of 3x5 cards and see if they can learn to survive a week. Seriously, this is the kind of thing I'm hoping some of you have used and has worked.

      "Good luck with this. I hope you post and let us know how you are
      overcoming this obstacle."

      Sure will. Most of the teams make this process easy, but if we can find ways to help some of the teams that need it, it'll be much a bigger success.

      Thanks!
      Clint
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic