18573RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum illness, symptoms and possible treatments

  • Clinton Keith
    Dec 29, 2006

      Hi Mike,

      We do TDD/PP, but since we make video games TDD doesn’t translate to all the disciplines (art, design, programming) on the team.   We have a done column for our tasks and conditions of satisfaction for our stories.

      Sprint planning:

      - We have 2-week sprints based on ~1/2 day planning sessions with stories taken from a release backlog and broken down by the team.  They are usually 50% accurate with their sprint tasks (hours and task count), which is often due to the uncertainties even in a 2-week planning window for video games.

      - We have 120 people working on a game spread across ~14 teams.  All these team deliver on the same day (one product).

      The new tasks are identified during the day outside the scrum and the new cards brought to the daily scrums and posted.

      I would rate the collaboration among people of the same discipline (e.g. programmer-programmer, artist-artist) as good, but the collaboration across disciplines as less than that.

      I found that Alistair Cockburn’s article that Ron Jeffries pointed out the other day

      http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/Are_iterations_hazardous_to_your_project%3F

      To be insightful into a potential problem:  Do highly cross-discipline teams tend to pipeline more easily and prevent meaningful value in short iterations?

      Clint