18571Re: Scrum illness, symptoms and possible treatments

  • Mike Bria
    Dec 29, 2006
      Hi Keith --

      As far as the quality - Are your teams practicing TDD? Have you tried
      pair programming? Do you have a "DONE" checklist?

      As far as the dropped stories and new tasks - How do approach sprint
      planning?

      Another thing that seems interesting is that your daily stand-ups are
      "quiet", yet new tasks are frequently "added during the sprint" - how
      are these new tasks communicated (and agreed on)? In general, how would
      you rate the collaboration among team members?

      --MB

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Clinton Keith" <ckeith@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > I've been following the debate on Daily Burndowns here with interest
      > We've been using Scrum for three years now and it seems as if a couple
      > of teams are experiencing an increased drag from the lack of novelty
      or
      > more of a robotic adherence to the Scrum practices. The Daily
      Burndown
      > is a good example of a practice that they are following, but not
      taking
      > full advantage of.
      >

      > I would like to get some advice on how to rejuvenate the Scrum
      > principles among teams.
      >
      > First, the symptoms:
      >
      > - Lot's of dropped user stories.
      >
      > - "completeness" isn't quite there on stories that are marked as
      > complete (bugs, lack of polish)
      >
      > - Lots of new tasks added during a sprint (without stories changing)
      >
      > - Very quiet daily scrums
      >

      > I know these symptoms point to a lack of commitment and ownership on
      the
      > teams. We customers have pointed out the failures in the stories
      > delivered during the reviews. The question that I have is, apart from
      > beating the teams during the reviews, are there some exercises and
      > coaching practices that can be used to help focus on these issues?
      >

      > There was mention of 2-day Sprints being used to help teams examine
      how
      > they function and what they deliver. Does this work? Are there
      others?

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Clint

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic